Re: Proposed split of the HTML specification

On 06/11/2015 09:15 AM, Sam Ruby wrote:

> On 06/11/2015 05:16 AM, Robin Berjon wrote:
>> The proposed split is up at:
>>
>>      http://darobin.github.io/breakup/specs/
>
> 2a) I see a need for an overall table of contents indicating the
> complete set of relevant specifications.  We've talked about this
> before, but any ideas we may have explored probably need revisiting,
> particularly as different specs may be owned by different groups (or
> even different standards organizations).  As you know, one of my
> favorite examples is the URL object: something that was once part of
> HTML, but not doesn't currently appear to have any traction in the W3C.
>   It is still needed.

Link to prior discussion:

https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2014Sep/0021.html

> 2b) In addition to a table of contents, I now see a need for an index
> (I'm using this term in the sense that you find in the back of many text
> books).  As an example, where would you find requirements (normative or
> informative) related to the <nav> element?  It didn't seem obvious to me
> to look in the "Sections in HTML" document for this, but that would be
> OK if there were an index that could be readily determined.

A first rough cut at such an index:

http://intertwingly.net/tmp/html-breakup-glossary.html

On 06/11/2015 08:49 AM, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> ... it's common for me as an implementor to need to figure out what
> parts of the spec reference the part of the spec I'm looking at. With
> the single-page version, I can just search the spec for the relevant
> term, usually.
>
> Of course this could also be addressed by attaching to each
> referenced thing a list links to the things that reference it, which
> would be even better from my point of view.

I could definitely see spitting out a json file per spec containing the
nearest anchors to inbound links, and having that json file be fetched
by a small script that attaches references to each definition.

- Sam Ruby