Proposal to add the attr-datetime for the mark-element

From: Sarven Capadisli <info@csarven.ca>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2015 19:06:22 +0200
To: public-html@w3.org
Hi,

Pardon me if this was previously considered, I was not able to
reasonably get a hold of the information for the following:

I think it would be appropriate to make the datetime attribute as one of
the normative attributes for the mark element. As I understand <mark>,
it generally indicates that there was some marking/highlighting activity
done on text. I see this is a similar activity to <del> and <ins>, which
may be accompanied with the datetime attribute.

A use case for this is where a user (not necessarily the author of the
document) marks/highlights a piece of text where the timestamp of that
activity is preserved, so that information could later be collected. It
grants the possibility where all editorial - pardon me for the lack of a
better term - changes or interactions fit into a timeframe.

I have considered employing the data attribute e.g., data-datetime, but
figured that the datetime attribute would be most suitable in this case.

In case I've missed something obvious, happy to hear your thoughts.

-Sarven
http://csarven.ca/#i