Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2015 11:44:48 +0100
From: Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org>
To: public-web-mobile@w3.org
Subject: Deep linking

Hi,

In the past few months, several efforts have emerged to try to make native apps
get some of the benefits of the Web (inter-linking), as well as to make them more
integrated in the Web (seamless transition between browser-based and native-based
views of the Web).

Google has app indexing:
https://developers.google.com/app-indexing/webmasters/app
Quixey has appURLs: http://appurl.org/
Facebook has AppLinks:
https://developers.facebook.com/blog/post/2014/04/30/app-links
http://applinks.org/
URX has omnilinks
http://blog.urx.com/urx-blog/omnilinks-app-links-and-the-state-of-mobile

These efforts have also received attention from the press:
http://recode.net/2014/10/28/how-deep-linking-could-fix-mobile/
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/06/technology/tech-companies-look-to-break-down-walls-between-apps.html?ref=technology

Given the number of competing proposals in this space, and given they're only as
useful as they get widespread, it feels to me this space is probably ripe for
some standardization effort, or at least pre-standardization.

It's also an interesting twist to the usual “native vs Web” — it is closer to
“native ♥ Web”, with benefits for all.

I'm looking for feedback on the topic, and potential interest in contributing
efforts in this space.

Follow up actions could be a community group, or even a workshop if we feel this
type of topic requires broader visibility from the community.

Thanks, and happy new year to all!

Dom

----- End forwarded message -----

--