Re: [keyboard] Web application reserved keystrokes in Jaws

From: _mallory <stommepoes@stommepoes.nl>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2015 19:24:30 +0200
To: public-html@w3.org
On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 02:58:48PM +0000, White, Jason J wrote:
> Despite the above comments, using alphanumeric and punctuation keys without modifiers makes commands easier to type, so I still have a soft spot for programs which do this, including Vi, or more accurately, Vim. For a screen reader though, especially in modern Web conditions, it’s a liability in the end.

I saw the presentation at CSUN which was using F1 for a widget. Might be
great on Windows, but it opens my Help menu for any application I'm
running at the moment. I'd say all the Function keys are out, because
increasing the finger-yoga a keyboard user needs to perform just to get
the developer out of the conflict range will end up turning into the
Emacs way. Which I seem to recall has as many religious adherents and
haters as vi :)

As a note, I am not an Emacs fan, and I *do* have 10 fingers. I have a
colleague with only 4 though. Another point to keep in mind when we
try to find accessible solutions...

I dunno if vendors can actually ever build in anything like a
--noclobber option, but if they could that would be excellent.

_mallory