Re: proposal: have W3C HTML5 reference dated WHATWG URL standard rather than W3C copy

On Sep 26, 2014, at 6:02 , Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net> wrote:

> On 09/26/2014 08:28 AM, Brian Kardell wrote:
>> [Snip]
>> Personally I would prefer if WHATWG and W3C can publish exactly same
>> document on bothwhatwg.org <http://whatwg.org>andw3c.org
>> <http://w3c.org>. I mean exactly same (maybe except visual style) so no
>> additional editorial effort on W3C side will be needed. Personally I
>> don't feel that WHATWG is currently enough stable and open body
>> (seehttps://whatwg.org/charter) to provide long term archival place for
>> specifications.
>> [/snip]
>>
>> Hosting an exact copy of a snapshot for reference and archival purposes
>> at w3c doesn't appear to bother anyone as far as I can tell, the concern
>> is with unnecessary forking.  Seems sensible, does that make you feel
>> better about it?
>
> For that to work, at a minimum the W3C would need to publish such a snapshot.  The last time that was done was over two years ago.  A few links capturing the current state:
>
> http://www.w3.org/2014/06/webapps-charter.html#url
> http://www.w3.org/TR/url/
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2014JulSep/0492.html
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2014Sep/0010.html
> http://w3c.github.io/test-results/url/less-than-2.html

I think that the explicit question is whether a document that is a W3C CG snapshot with a suitable title, stable content, which has been through an FSA pass, is good enough for this spec. for the purposes of the HTML5 spec.

how can we find out?

if it is, there is a follow-on question;  does webapps need to make another copy for some other reason?

David Singer
Manager, Software Standards, Apple Inc.