Re: proposal: have W3C HTML5 reference dated WHATWG URL standard rather than W3C copy

On 09/25/2014 12:51 PM, Brian Kardell wrote:
> [snip]
> -1.  It may be that someday we will get to the point where there is a way
> to make normative references to WHATWG specs from W3C specs, but today is
> not that day.  It will take too long to work out the details.
> [/snip]
>
> What specifically is there to work out?
> http://www.w3.org/2013/09/normative-references seems pretty clear and
> the dated snapshot adequate.  I see the chair of the AB and AB members
> supporting this interpretation, unless I am misunderstanding.  Tantek
> articulates clear arguments, what specifically are the counter
> arguments?

One of the points made in today's telecon[1] is that neither the WHATWG
nor any potential W3C WebApps drafts in the near future are likely to
meet the criteria for stability, as evidenced by the following links:

http://w3c.github.io/test-results/url/less-than-2.html
http://w3c.github.io/test-results/url/all.html

It is also clear that the HTML WG will not be able to make this decision
in isolation; the WebApps Working Group, the TAG, the AC, AB, and
Director will all have a say.

- Sam Ruby

[1] http://www.w3.org/2014/09/25-html-wg-minutes.html#item04