Re: After 5

On 18/09/2014 19:50 , Frederick Hirsch wrote:
> proposal is to go from using versioned documents to saying that
> everything that is found at a well-defined location is the current
> living standard.
>
> Thus an update to the standard consists of adding or updating
> material to be found at the location (modular)
>
> did I get this right?

I think you're trying to summarise this too much!

Some people need up to date living standards, others need stable
releases. I am tired of reading discussions in which people on either
side are angry at people on the other side simply because they live in a
different world that has different use cases.

As a result, I think that both ought to be available (under a specific
set up that makes it work). This provides a dedicated location for
living stuff, and another for snapshots. Hopefully we can minimise the
friction between the two by making it easier to ship actual standards
much more often, which is good for both IPR reasons and in terms of
avoiding having stale documents around. Call it "evergreen standards" if
you will.

Note that drafts.wpo is not a standards organisation, it is just a place
where people can work on standards together. Standardisation happens in
the same old way.