Re: Proposal: move accessibility implementation requirements from HTML to HTML acc mappings spec

On 2 September 2014 15:36, <chaals@yandex-team.ru> wrote:

> The obvious one would be that instead of working from a spec we know,
> we're asking a new browser developer (such as those who announced the new
> Raspberry Pi browser yesterday?)

The spec you know only defines a small subset of acc layer requirements.
There are no plans or agreement to define those requirements in the the
detail needed to implement accessibility layer semantics interoperably.

>to replicate work based on accumulated knowledge about a bunch of
different (and as far as I know not very clearly specified) APIs and how
>they work.

how does leaving the limited abstractions in HTML help?

Likewise, it assumes that all accessibility functionality in existing
> browsers will be handled by the people who connect them to Assistive
> Technology and APIs.

no it does not, it assumes that where browsers do need to map features to
accessibility APIs, they will have a specification that provides sufficient
information for them to be able to do that.

While the abstraction layer of ARIA seems like overhead, it also provides
> an important safety net for development IMHO.

the practicality of transforming ARIA into a general purpose abstraction is
something best discussed with the ARIA devs in PF no?
--

Regards

SteveF