Re: suggestion for tag set <sarcasm> </sarcasm> pair

On 4 November 2014 07:07, Jukka K. Korpela <jukka.k.korpela@kolumbus.fi>
wrote:

> What “semantics” is added for me by whom/what?

role and label for AT users, and visual symbols for other users.

1) Why would you want to use an element of your own when you can achieve
> the same reliably, in all browsers, without any new features, by using a
> class element on a suitable general-purpose element like <span> or <div>?
> (It can make the code shorter and superficially more readable, but is there
> anything else?)

That is a question for the thread starter.

2) Assuming that you really, really want an element, what is the benefit of
using new features, defined in drafts and with experimental
implementations, as opposite to just using <sarcasm> and styling it? It
works in all browsers except some old versions of IE, where the new
features surely won’t work and where the simple
document.createElement('sarcas

> m') trick will fix the issue when scripting is not disabled.

You describe another method to do achieve a similar end.The choice of
method is up to the developer.

I am not advocating one method over another, I have provided an example of
one possible solution, you have provided in a round about way another
solution, suggest it would be helpful if you write up your solution in a
form that can easily be used by others.

--

Regards

SteveF