Re: HTML has no definition / automated test suite

2014-11-02 14:02, Patrick H. Lauke wrote:
> On 02/11/2014 11:03, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
>> 2014-11-02 0:48, Patrick H. Lauke wrote:
>>> No, as HTML does not specify look/presentation/default browser
>>> rendering.
>>
>> It’s not quite that simple.
>>
>> All HTML specifications have said *something* about (default) rendering.
>> Not normatively
>
> which is why I said it does not *specify* it. Non-normative is
> informative...

You can specify things informatively. “To specify” means “to name or
state explicitly or in detail”, according to Merriam–Webster. The
meaning is not restricted to normative descriptions.

And as I wrote, HTML5 (now a W3C Recommendation, finally) comes at least
half way in the direction of making rendering rules normatively: they
are normative, if a user agent announces to apply default rendering.
This is not very different from the normativeness of HTML5 rules in
general: they only relate to software that announces to implement HTML5,
support HTML5, conform to HTML5, or whatever words it uses.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/