Comments on "Using WAI-ARIA in HTML"

From: Rick Brown <ricksbrown73@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2014 12:42:15 +1000
To: public-html@w3.org
Dear W3C

I'd like to bring to your attention a few minor points and one
question/clarification on 'aria-required' in the document "Using WAI-ARIA
in HTML".

Much of the HTML needs some love, closing tags are missing in several
instances, attribute values are inconsistently quoted/not quoted/half
quoted for example:

I'd be happy to clean it up for you if you like.

I'm, also seeking clarification on the use of "aria-required".
The ARIA Spec says not to use "aria-required" where an equivalent native
attribute is available.
"Using WAI-ARIA in HTML" seems to give the exact opposite advice.

This may be a compatibility issue due to browser support for HTML5 but it
still contravenes the spec. It could be worked around by testing for
"required" support in javascript before adding the aria-required property.

I also believe that, strictly speaking and to avoid confusion, non-global
states and properties should not be used on elements with no aria role, so
aria-required should either become a global property in the ARIA spec or
not be used this way. I guess that's a different matter.

Regards
Rick