Re: revisiting advice in HTML on tables used for layout

Steve Faulkner, Fri, 31 Jan 2014 14:58:44 +0000 in reply to Jukka:

Right before that quote, Jukka also wrote this:

> It would need to start with a definition of what “layout
> table” really means – e.g., quite often even a table of controls and
> labels for them is accused of being a “layout table”.

Are you going to start with that? And is a table used to keep a form a
“layout table”? What would the consequences of doing <table
role="layout"> become for conformance checkers? (A warning message?)

Even though everyone knows it is not the most semantic thing, there are
authoring tools that specialize in designing Web pages via layout
tables. If adding role="layout" would somehow cause validators to
report such pages as non-conforming, I would say we have shot ourselves
in the foot. Or are layout tables actually more accessible without the
role="layout" tag?
--
leif halvard silli