Re: proposed change: links inside label elements

2014-01-15 19:30, Marat Tanalin wrote:

>    to <a href="tandc.html">the terms and conditions</a>
> That would probably be harmful as for semantics/clarity of the label when considering it in isolation from text outside the label ("I agree" => "agree with what?"). Label text should be self-contained enough to be understandable without extra information.

Well, it sort-of breaks the text into pieces, and I was not saying that
Steve’s example was wrong, just suggesting a more compact alternative.
Repeating words tends to look a bit odd, though it can be necessary at
times.

I don't think that there is any recommendation on a <label> content
being self-contained. We have loads of code with markup like
<label>Email</label> that doesn't say, without context, whose email it
its about.

Even with the words "the terms and conditions" included in the <label>
element, it isn't self-contained. It does not say which terms and
conditions, except indirectly, via a link. Reference by context does not
sound much weaker to me.

Admittedly, the label text "I agree to the terms and conditions" is
fine. The problem arises when you wish to link to the actual terms
(which is a good idea). I'm a bit worried about the potential
counterargument "oh well, you mean that I should repeat a long phrase
outside the <label> element, with no good reason".

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/