Re: revisiting heading advice

Jukka K. Korpela, Thu, 09 Jan 2014 17:04:29 +0200:
> 2014-01-05 19:31, Steve Faulkner wrote:
>> Currently the spec  says its OK to use all h1's in a document or all
>> (h6's) for that matter

> Moreover, the default (or "recommended" default) rendering rules (in
> 10.3.7) deal with one simple part of the consequences only:
  […]
> So if you have a <section> element with <h1> and <h2>
> inside it, then - on browsers that support this idea - the <h1>
> element is rendered as a level 2 element, but so is the <h2> element;
> it is not demoted to level 3, where it is logically supposed to be.

Supposedly, in the outline and in AT, it would still be “demoted“.

> The explanation is obvious: Writing all the rendering rules needed to
> reflect the logic of heading level demotion would be boring and would
> produce something rather bulky and messy-looking.

A new <h> element would perhaps been simpler. But ”back then”, those
behind the idea took pride in the backward-compatibility (with legacy
IE, that is) of using <h1>.

> Contrasting this with gain of the freedom, which is close to none, I
> think the logical conclusion should be that the classic HTML
> principles be restored in this respect: the rank of a heading
> dictates its level.

You mean, to look away from the effect of <section>?

> It is a rather simplistic principle, but it has
> worked for a long time and has no real problem.

Think it would be problematic, when used with <section>.
--
leif halvard silli