RE: [whatwg] <input type=number> for year input

On Tuesday, February 18, 2014 8:24 PM
Karl Dubost wrote

Le 19 févr. 2014 à 08:17, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> a écrit :
> It doesn't help that much for four-digit numbers, and years beyond
> four digits often _do_ have commas, e.g.:
>
>   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_10,000_problem

In English.
The same page you used:
西暦10000年問題
Problema del año 10000
Y10K
10000년 문제
Проблема 10000 года
Проблема 10000 року
10000年问题

For example, the comma in France is used for "10,5" as in 10.5 (21/2).
And the space is used as a separator 11 222 333,44

A good source for different conventions depending on the locales.
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikip%C3%A9dia:Conventions_concernant_les_nombres
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Manual_of_Style/Dates_and_numbers
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Schreibweise_von_Zahlen
http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:%E6%A0%BC%E5%BC%8F%E6%89%8B%E5%86%8C/%E6%97%A5%E6%9C%9F%E5%92%8C%E6%95%B0%E5%AD%97

etc.

I wonder if it would not be more flexible to have a `format` attribute.

    <input type="number" format="%Y"/>
(or any other formatting syntax)

What fun!

Thanks to jwatt for raising the issue and to Karl for casting it in the context that I presume jwatt was intending it to be cast.

It reminds me of the early discussions, circa 2007 on whatwg/public-html, of what exactly was meant by 'semantics'. Is it merely HTML or is it meaning?

Perhaps at the core of human expression is the <idea> and until we respect one another for that core expression, distinctions between semantics, behavior, presentation and context are askew, or at least un-worldwidish. HTML7 should be radically different than HTML5: a new prime number requires new thinking and new participation and perhaps, even, reinvention at the expense of a broken wheel or two.

Cheers
David