Re: Navigator standard change proposal

On 13/02/2014 11:09, Predrag Stojadinovic wrote:
> Let me also say to Charles that yes, the comments were objective, thank
> you, but unfortunately I also have to say that they are illogical. One
> example is the Opera 9.8 issue you mentioned, where it simply makes no
> sense to mess up the navigator.appVersion attribute value in order to
> accommodate bad sniffers. That decision is doing more harm than good.

No, it's not. Without fudging the appVersion, many stupidly coded sites
thought that any version of Opera 10 and above was in fact Opera 1, and
- as they were doing browser sniffing rather than feature/capability
detection - then either blocked the browser (sending it to a "Your old
browser is not supported) completely or served a completely watered-down
experience. As in the end it was users who sufferred for this, Opera
decided to take that course of action so that its users could actually
use sites, regardless of how badly coded they were. You yourself talk
about not wanting to leave users hanging...and that's exactly what this
approach solved.

Patrick H. Lauke