Re: XML:ID extension spec proposal to HTML5 documents

On 5.2.2014 16:21, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
> The above hints to me that the DTD we are looking for *just* to assign
> ID to id, ought to be pretty simple. We don’t need a complete DTD. We
> only need something that assigns ID to id. The named entities would of
> course also be nice to have, though.

It's bad idea to solve ID issue by adding DTD fragments into each
document. That's too much burden on authors. You can either:

1. Use toolchain that understands that id attribute is of type ID (eg.
validator.nu parser)

2. Use different XPointer scheme which is not depending on ID type. E.g.
<xi:include href="..." xpointer="xpath(//*[@id = 'foo'])"/>

It's still better to write xpath(//*[@id = 'foo']) instead of foo, then
to include fragments of DTD declarations into file which might be
possible target of includes.

But I think that we are getting slightly off-topic for *HTML* mailing list.

    Jirka