Re: XML:ID extension spec proposal to HTML5 documents

Jirka Kosek, Tue, 04 Feb 2014 15:26:28 +0100:
> On 4.2.2014 13:29, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
>> I don’t follow this logic. For instance, DOCTYPE and DTD is already
>> specified. But that does not prevent us from coming up with new DTDs -
>> and add them to various new specs. I think it is useful to have a
>> document that explains ”the ways to Rome”.
>
> No one reasonable is going to come up with new DTDs -- DTDs are dead.

I did not mean to imply anything about the utility of DTDs. I only
meant to derive some logics from how DTDs have been used in various
spec.

A clearer example of what I meant is that HTML5 defines how to use
xml:lang="foo". Why, when how to use xml:lang="" was defined in XML?
Simply because there are some things to say about how it should be
used, when or if authors want/need to use it.

The same way, it is not enough, in my view, to just start littering
HTML document with xml:id=*. One should be aware of what one is doing.
Not least should one know that there is actually defined a better way,
which we are waiting for the implementations of. And thank you very
much for helping me to see how HTML5 intends ID assignment to function
- I will put that in the spec proposal!
--
leif halvard silli