Re: <input type="date">: not marked at risk

On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 2:33 PM, Jukka K. Korpela
<jukka.k.korpela@kolumbus.fi> wrote:
> 2013-09-23 4:52, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
>>
>> FYI: being "at risk" has nothing to do with the usefulness of the
>> feature - the spec's concern is whether there is cross-UA support of
>> the feature.
>

> Which in turn depends on how useful the feature is seen by implementors,
> doesn't it?
> And on the amount of work needed for implementation, of course.
>

>> Such a feature can be a useful feature (I personally have
>> used such input types in my recent apps), but its standardisation may
>> need to be delayed to the next version of HTML if UAs don't have
>> uniform support of the feature. That's all.
>

> According to
> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTML/Element/input
> the support status for type=date is the same as for type=datetime. So there
> must be
> something else than the current implementation status that explains why
> type=date
> is not marked as being at risk and type=datetime is not.

It's simply a matter of process. At the time that the spec went into
Last Call, implementations were behind, so the feature was put "at
risk". Now it's supported, so if tests confirm uniform support, it's
not at risk any more.

If the HTML5 spec goes back into Last Call, that list can be updated.

Silvia.