Re: TextTrackCue discussions

On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 2:42 AM, Philip Jägenstedt <philipj@opera.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 9:59 AM, Silvia Pfeiffer
> <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 10:15 PM, Philip Jägenstedt <philipj@opera.com>
> wrote:

> >> Given that UnparsedCue would be a strict subset of VTTCue, that
> >> doesn't sound at all worth adding APIs for.
> >
> > It avoids developer confusion, which is sufficient reason for me.
> >
> > Here's another use case: when a browser exposes in-band text tracks
> > through a @kind=metadata TextTrack, this allows developers to make
> > corrections to the list of cues - add cues if necessary to e.g. fill
> > gaps.
>
> It turns out I'm not up to date with what the spec says. addCue and
> removeCue are now on the TextTrack interface and take a TextTrackCue,
> whereas there used to be a function which created *and* added a cue. I
> thought we'd need a new such function, but it's only a question of
> whether or not UnparsedCue has a constructor.
>
> I would prefer if UnparsedCue was only ever used for in-band metadata
> tracks of an unknown kind, but if browsers are going to expose the
> UnparsedCue interface anyway, then exposing a constructor by that same
> makes no difference, and would indeed be more consistent.

Would it be better to call this interface RawCue or RawTextCue, so that it
doesn't necessarily imply that it is not parsed? This would be useful to
permit a rendered cue interface type (that exposes getCueAsHTML) to inherit
from Raw{Text}Cue in order to provide the text attribute.

I have specified a RawTTMLCue to serve this function (as a base interface
for TTMLCue) in [1].

[1]
file:///Users/glenn/work/w3c/ttml/ttml1-api/Overview.src.html#dfn-intermediate-synchronic-document