Re: 4.13.1 Bread crumb navigation - use of right angle brackets

On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 02:35:54PM +0100, Léonie Watson wrote:
> These days a breadcrumb is really a fragment of the core navigation. The
> core navigation for a site is rarely marked up using ordered lists, so in
> the interests of consistency and familiarity, it may be better to follow the
> same basic design pattern for a breadcrumb?

The core navigation is rarely marked up using ordered lists because,
I would think, it never changes the meaning or function of those links
if instead of starting with Home, you start with Products or Contact.
Our customers' main menus are pretty much just a dump of their main
product categories, in whichever order they thought them up.

My grocery list doesn't really care if I put the bananas first, last
or in the middle, or where the milk is.

If my grocery list were a Hansel/Gretel thing, though, where I
must (or should) follow a specific path (first thing I encounter
when entering the store is the fruits/vegetables section so bananas
should be first; then milk when I get to Dairy; then phone minutes
at the cashier)... now it's an ordered list.

Regarding other comments, I don't understand how "breadcrumbs" ever
became interpreted as meaning "hierarchy and not paths". Do I mis-
remember the story? The kids made a path, out of crumbs of bread?

I'm against the nested lists because of the code complexity, but
it does make semantic sense, if the purpose of a breadcrumb was
to show heirarchy instead of simply making an easy shortcut to
related items for users in an ordered manner, which is how I use them.
Even in a heirarchy, it shows a path of steps the user could take:
from Home, click Products. From Products, click Dishwashers. From
Dishwashers, click Bosch. From Bosch, click a product-detail page.