Re: 4.13.1 Bread crumb navigation - use of right angle brackets

Correct, so we're dealing with a path. either hierarchical or not.

Checking websites we can probably see that a typical breadcrumb would be
used for a hierarchical way of navigating, but both could be used.

Would it be too simple to say:
Hierarchical: Nested lists.
Linear: List

In markup, a path:
<ol>
  <li>Search</li>
  <li>Bosch LX-5 dishwasher</li>
  <li>LG Supra M-6 washing machine</li>
  <li>Shopping cart</li>
</ol>

This would read that a user searched for something, clicked on the Bosch
dishwasher, from there ended up on the LG washing machine page (possibly a
related item or something) and added it to their cart (which they're
viewing now).

<ol> would be important as the order is actually relevant, although it
might need to be reversed with CSS for clarity.

In markup a hierarchy:
<ol>
  <li>Products</li>
    <ol>
      <li>Dishwashers</li>
        <ol>
          <li>Bosch</li>
        </ol>
      </li>
    </ol>
  </li>
</ol>

This would read that a user is viewing the Bosch page within the
Dishwashers category within the products section.