Re: 4.13.1 Bread crumb navigation - use of right angle brackets

I'd say the code should reflect what it "means". If you "mean" the
breadcrumbs show the path in the structural tree of a website, then yes,
use nested ol's. A breadcrumb per definition can't be like a recipe.
Although there's some similarity between the two, a recipe is a series of
steps in a process, a breadcrumb is a navigational path, always down one
branch (a recipe usually has multiple branches).

For some reason there seems to be a trend that we (authors) give in to what
is used the most "in the wild", instead of doing what is actually correct.
HTML is nothing more than structuring data. Some data can be structured
more than other data, I think we should strive to structure it as best as
we can.

This should be (in my opinion) the goal of, at least, the spec. If people
will actually follow it is a different discussion, but striving for the
best possible outcome should (again, in my opinion) always be more
important than what people are used to now.

It's exactly the same as using the <i> element for icons; it's lazy, sloppy
and incorrect, but it's used more often than not and promoted by frameworks
like Bootstrap. The spec should (and thankfully does in this case) promote
the use of <span>, when no semantics are or should be tied to the element.

Sorry for my rant, but it feels like 1994 all over again when the argument
is made that most people don't use it right now and therefore shouldn't be
in the spec. That's reversed thinking, let's go for the best possible
result ;-)