Re: Cite element...

On Thu, 12 Sep 2013 01:07:33 +0400, Jirka Kosek <jirka@kosek.cz> wrote:

> On 11.9.2013 22:05, Charles McCathie Nevile wrote:
>> My comment in the bug suggests allowing for a really vague "<cite>that
>> weird bloke in that funny book</cite>" type reference, but I think the
>> editorial slant should lean strongly towards encouraging structured
>> citations, however they happen to be done...
>
> So just to confirm that I understand correctly to this, instead of using
> <cite> only for titles of cited works, like in the following example
> from the spec:

> December 1948. Adopted by General Assembly resolution 217 A (III).</p>
>
> <cite> would become container, so previous example will read as:
>
> <cite><***title>Universal Declaration of Human Rights</***title>,
> <***publisher>United Nations</***publisher>,
> <***pubdate>December 1948</***pubdate>. Adopted by General Assembly
> resolution 217 A (III).</cite>

Not quite. That would certainly be possible, and disallowing markup in
cite seems silly to me. It would also be possible to use it for plain
titles of works, like <cite>Wikipedia</cite>, or authors like
<cite>SteveF</cite>.

> Where *** prefixed elements could be some newly added HTML elements or
> more likely spans augmented with RDFa/Microdata.

I'm not proposing to ad a whole pile of new semantic elements to HTML - if
you want that, I suggest XHTML. Alternatively, things like
RDFa/µdata/data-* attributes let you pile in more stuff...

cheers

Chaals