Re: is it necessary to disambiguate (using markup) inline notes,citations and original markup? [was] use of <mark> to denote notes in quoted text

2013-09-09 23:37, Adrian Roselli wrote:

> If I come across this (horrible, broken code) on a site:
>
> 	<h7>Why did the monkey fall out of the tree?</h7>
>
> Are you saying I cannot correct it when I stuff it into a <blockquote>?

Yes.

Horrible as it might seem, it has defined behavior (as error recovery).
You may choose to not quote it (and perhaps instead paraphrase it), but
if you decide to quote, quote shall it be.

> What if the HTML has a barrier to accessibility in it? That can make my site run afoul of legal requirements, which would put me on the hook for litigation/fines in order to not break a... what would I be breaking?

Beats me. If you are afraid of that, don't quote such material.

The quoted text, with its markup, is at the responsibility of its author.

> It's certainly, IMO, more immoral to leave something broken for a disabled user than it is to change someone's underlying HTML when I quote it.

Morality aside for the moment, the Berne convention says:

"Independently of the author's economic rights, and even after the
transfer of the said rights, the author shall have the right to [...] to
object to any distortion, mutilation or other modification of, or other
derogatory action in relation to, the said work, which would be
prejudicial to his honor or reputation."
http://www.wipo.int/treaties/en/ip/berne/trtdocs_wo001.html#P123_20726

But it's really stronger than that. Authorship gives the author an
exclusive right to publish the work, as a whole on in part. The right to
present quotations is an exception to that right and is to be
interpreted in a narrow sense. It means that certain conditions must be
fulfilled, and in addition, the quotation must not be altered just
because you, as a person who quotes someone else's work, don't like some
choice of words, emphasis, markup, or content.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/