Re: is it necessary to disambiguate (using markup) inline notes,citations and original markup? [was] use of <mark> to denote notes in quoted text

2013-09-09 13:27, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
> There is no real-world disagreement about the fact that the the
> author of the current page. That is, in my view, a straw man.

I don’t quite see what are referring to.

If quoted text (no matter what, if any, markup is used to indicate it as
a quotation) is from a web page, or generally an HTML document, then it
seems natural to require that the original markup be preserved, unless
there is a technical reason that prevents it. Even if it is deprecated,
obsolete, and whatever, it’s what the author of the quoted page has
chosen, so in a quotation, it shall not be “fixed” any more than you are
allowed to “fix” factual errors or wrong opinions.

If quoted text is from another format, such as plain text file or
printed book, then I would say that markup be used only when there is an
obvious choice in HTML, mainly <p> for paragraphs. For italic, for
example, it’s debatable whether we should use just <i>, leaving it to
the recipient to interpret it (as a reader of a printed book has to do),
intent is clear. I would say that given the semantic mess around <em>
and friends, clear cases really don’t exist.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/