Re: use of <mark> to denote notes in quoted text

Hi Tim,

>"Literary functions in HTML should follow general literary conventions
outside of HTML wherever possible."

agreed

>For HTML, visual and semantic distinction can of course be attained by
nesting an element within the blockquote, although frankly I am not at all
a fan >of using <cite> to refer to an author, but to a work. So we may need
some intermediary element there.

we are paving a cowpath with <cite> (and <blockquote>), the default styling
of cite by browsers should not be a deciding factor. The style is and can
be overridden

"When a practice is already widespread among authors, consider adopting it
rather than forbidding it or inventing something new."
http://www.w3.org/TR/html-design-principles/#pave-the-cowpaths

--

Regards

SteveF