RE: use of <mark> to denote notes in quoted text

Yes.

> The conventional means using brackets, explanatory text,
> quotation marks etc is adequate?

For my  needs as a blogger, sometimes paid writer, and general reader (but by no means professional, trained author/journalist), yes.

> I am OK with that, I am just trying to explore what ways that
> existing markup could be used to to disambigaute inline notes
> etc from the quoted text.

I think <mark> can serve that role, but I don't immediately see how authors will work into a workflow/process that doesn't seem to use it now, nor how they can do it and make it accessible.

To be fair, I did not wade through the giant collection of sites you have made available to see how often <mark> is used Weekend laziness and all...