Re: use of <mark> to denote notes in quoted text

Why not use mark with a title attribute to explain why the text marked?

I don't see anything wrong with adding a mark element in a quoted text,
it's simply a way of indicating that the author finds it of some sort of
relevance.
Alternatively you could explain it in a footer of the blockquote, but then
it misses a direct link to the mark element.

Example:

exactly what I mean. You should be able to educate people, even if they
don't ask for it.">but that's no reason not to give it.</mark></p>