Re: Making all elements and attributes that contain hyphens valid

On 16.10.2013 15:10, Smylers wrote:
> (Or, if all attributes with hyphens in were deemed safe for authors to
> use like this, that would prevent any future applicable spec from
> defining any new attributes with hyphens in them: they may clash with
> attributes authors or libraries are already using. That'd either be a
> massive restriction on future applicable specs, preventing any of them
> from using their own foo-* prefix on attributes.)

I don't see any guarantee here. Author of any library can write down
sentence stating "This is applicable spec for my FOO library. This
applicable spec extends HTML5 by attributes prefixed foo-.". Then
nothing will prevent him using foo-, it will be within bounds of the
current HTML5 and possible clashes will not be prevented.

After all possible clashes to my knowledge can be prevented in two ways
-- either by having central registry for prefixes or by using some
indirect mechanism like namespaces.

So insisting on using data-* for libraries is little bit hypocritical --
it just requires typing additional 5 characters and doesn't bring any
real advantage.

In my opinion we should either allow prefixed attributes and require
prefixes to be registered in some sort of Wiki or introduce something
like XML namespaces in HTML syntax.

    Jirka