Re: Making all elements and attributes that contain hyphens valid

Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>, 2013-10-16 13:57 +1100:

> On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 1:02 PM, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net> wrote:
> > Meanwhile, I would suggest following the lead of aria, and writing specs,
> > getting implementations, and fostering usage.
> >
> > Note the the existing validator checks for aria.  Not indiscriminately, but
> > very deliberately.  If your spec gets anything resembling traction, I would
> > expect that the validator will do the same for you.  Of course, you could
> > speed up the process by providing a patch...
>
> That makes sense for things that you'd want to get into the spec. But
> what about yandex wanting to use attributes just for their own
> applications only?

Isn't that exactly what data-* is for?

> yandex-* would come up as invalid. Having to do data-yandex-* seems
> unwieldy.

It doesn't seem very unwieldy to me. But regardless, they wouldn't need to
do it data-yandex-* anyway -- they could just do data-*. Because they'd not
be using anybody else's data-* attributes, and so wouldn't have any risk of
name collisions. And the attributes are just for their own applications, so
they're not expecting anybody else to do anything with them.

  --Mike