Re: Making all elements and attributes that contain hyphens valid

On Thu, Oct 3, 2013 at 9:21 PM, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net> wrote:
> On 10/03/2013 03:05 AM, Michael[tm] Smith wrote:
>>

>> We don't want to make it harder for authors to know when they have
>> documents that contain names which aren't part of any standard, and we
>> don't want to make it harder for authors to catch misspelled attribute
>> names, and we don't want authors to end up being even further limited in
>> the choice of tools they can use -- limited to only using tools that are
>> complex enough to understand all the magic we're introducing.
>

> [chair hat off]
>
> As implementer of a validator for another set of markup languages (Atom,
> RSSes), my thoughts match Mike's though I end up with a slightly different
> conclusion.
>
> WebComponents defines a mechanism by which new elements may be minted. So
> any name containing a hyphen may potentially be valid.  A page should only
> be validate without messages if such a name was actually minted, and can be
> verified as being used correctly.
>
> Note that I said "validate without message", not "considered valid".

I think I'm with Sam here.

We're currently building a library that introduces new attributes to
make video elements work more easily with WebRTC. What should we call
our attributes? It doesn't seem like something that would be
standardised any time soon. It would be good to not just use data-*
attributes because there could be collisions. Should we sub-namespace
it? data-rtc-* just to get not invalid attribute messages? Or should
we do what angular did?

This is without even looking at Web Components.

Silvia.
[with web app dev hat on]