Re: Status of application cache

On Thu, 23 May 2013 23:50:51 +0400, Andrew Herrington
<a.d.herrington@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Bob,
>
> After receiving your email, I did some research and found this thread
> [1] . I think that rather than the idea of app cache being at risk it is
> the specification that is at risk, we should therefore hopefully see a
> V2 at some point.

Right. Appcache solves problems, but many people consider that it should
solve more, or something should solve them better.

The Webapps group is working on this - starting from use cases like those
at http://www.w3.org/wiki/Webapps/AppCacheUseCases where we would love to
have more input - to produce something that solves more people's issues.

> I just finished implementing a sales tool that had to work offline due
> to being sales people working in remote locations. App cache made it
> relatively easy to achieve this so I really hope it continues to exist
> in some format.

I think it is unlikely that appcache as it is will disappear, but expect
to see something replace it for most of the people who find it doesn't
really solve their problems well.

But note that my crystal ball has some pretty deep scratches and I may be
making bad predictions...

cheers

Chaals.