Re: indicating subtitles using small

Hey,

I consider Bootstrap to be the anti-reasoning for any HTML element.
After all, they use li tags for headings.

But I see it as reflecting popular opinion/usage.
I recently re-launched my old website using an old small-inside
-an-h1 technique, something I've done for a long time. Because.

I like HTML5's "new" definition of small as "fine/legal text" but
to me it's really just a different "voice", similar to em, in
my head when I read things. Stuff in parentheses sound similar to
me (they're like inline asides).

Small is not appropriate for subheadings but I've been using them
for exactly that for years now because it still seemed better than
what hgroup offered (everything inside hgroup *must* be a heading,
which is usually inappropriate for slogans, mottos, taglines, bylines
etc).

In my mind, maybe because of the "voice" thing, small has been
translated in my head as "semantically small", something you
may be required to state but want read quickly, out of the way,
not paid attention to and not to spoil your brand-name marketing
but satisfying the lawyers and anyone else anyways: what "fine
print" generally does. So I'm (incorrectly) borrowing that "voice"
for sub-thingies in or near my headings. I would continue in my
documents to refer to the title/heading only by the main part: I'd
not find myself repeating "Or, the Whale" throughout.

On the off-topic of the other holdovers: <i> is absolutely necessary.
There is "semantics", and then there is "typographic convention". <i>
serves the latter, not the former. I'd shame myself typgin a species
name without slated little letters :) And we've got typographic con-
vention enshrined elsewhere in the spec: we have <u> just for Chinese
proper names, a typographic convention.

<b> is a cute CSS sandbag with 3 fewer letters than span so far as I'm
concerned :) (yeah, it's also just typographic convention)

I would like to continue using <small> as sub thingies in my headings,
but I don't think it should actually be recommended as a solution to
the issue. It's just using contraception off-label for teenage acne.

Mallory