Re: using strong to indicate a title?

Ian Devlin, Tue, 7 May 2013 17:45:00 +0200:

http://www.w3.org/TR/2011/WD-html5-20110525/text-level-semantics.html#the-small-element

> It even goes as far as saying that it does not demote the importance of
> that if you wish to mark the contents of a <small> as important it should
> be wrapoed in <strong>. This implies that <small> itself has no effect on
> the importance of its content.

You are right. That was an unlucky choice of wording. But visually it
does demote - as it makes the text smaller. I would say that it is an
advantage that the 'demoting' is only visual and not semantic, because,
when the full heading - with subtitle and all - is supposed to go into
the outline, the I’d argue that there is no demoting going on. Hence,
despite that unlucky wording, I stand by my point.

If one place the subtitle inside a <p>, below a <hx> element, *then*
one has demoted it, semantically ...

Leif H Silli

http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/html/master/text-level-semantics.html#the-br-element