Re: Google and MPEG LA Announce Agreement Covering VP8 Video Format

On Mar 9, 2013, at 12:24 AM, Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com> wrote:

> Furthermore, since the first round of HTML baseline codec debates, every major browser has gotten on board with shipping H.264. Given that interop is coming to exist de facto, why do we need to declare a baseline at all?
>
> Opera doesn't support H.264. Firefox desktop doesn't support H.264 and only reluctantly came on board to hand through HW support on mobile, but not using SW. So, we still don't have a baseline codec that meets the W3C RF requirements.

Firefox is apparently going to support H.264 on desktop, using OS-provided decoders:
http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/07/firefox-nightlies-now-support-aac-mp3-and-h-264-by-default/

I've heard that Opera supports H.264 on mobile versions but I can't find a clear reference for this.

Regards,
Maciej