Re: Google and MPEG LA Announce Agreement Covering VP8 Video Format

From: Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2013 17:46:19 -0700
To: Andreas Kuckartz <A.Kuckartz@ping.de>
Cc: Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>, HTMLWG WG <public-html@w3.org>
On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 3:43 PM, Andreas Kuckartz <A.Kuckartz@ping.de> wrote:

> Glenn Adams:
> >> We anticipate having the terms of our sublicense ready in the next few
> >> weeks. When those terms are ready we will blog about them here, so watch
> >> this space."
> >> http://blog.webmproject.org/2013/03/vp8-and-mpeg-la.html
> >
> > who is "we"?
>
> I thought that it is well-known that the blog is published by Google.

Let me restate my question? Are you formally representing Google when you
say "we"?

> >> (But we still need to protect the open web against DRM ;-)
> >
> > no we don't (please take your crusade elsewhere, as this ML is not an
> > appropriate forum)
>
> We seem to have different opinions on what a crusade is and even if we
> did we certainly would have different opinions regarding who - if anyone
> - is comparable to crusaders. Next time you use such a comparison please
> first inform yourself what you are comparing people with:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crusades

I did not say crusades or crusader, I said crusade. Since it is no longer
the 11th to 13th centuries, it is pretty clear that meaning (2) of
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/crusade#Noun applies. It is also clear to me
from your prior comments that you believe that "protecting the open web
[from] DRM" is a cause worth pursuing. I don't object to your desire to
pursue a cause of this sort, I'm just saying this is not the forum for
doing so.