Re: Google and MPEG LA Announce Agreement Covering VP8 Video Format

From: Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2013 09:56:12 -0700
To: Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>
Cc: HTMLWG WG <public-html@w3.org>
On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 1:19 AM, Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>wrote:

> Does this mean we should revisit the requirement for a  supported video
> format in HTML?
>

> http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20130307006192/en/Google-MPEG-LA-Announce-Agreement-Covering-VP8

IANAL, but I don't think so. (1) this is an agreement with Google, not with
W3C or the Web Community; (2) this does not mean other entities will not
have to negotiate an independent license with the same IPR holders.

On the other hand, if Google were to grant a sub-license to the W3C and the
Web Community that meets the W3C PP, then that might be sufficient cause to
re-open this issue.

G.