Re: During HTML parsing, are *all* named character references replaced by their corresponding glyph?

From: David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 11:00:02 +0100
To: "Jukka K. Korpela" <jukka.k.korpela@kolumbus.fi>
Cc: public-html@w3.org
On 26/06/2013 08:03, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

> Right as regards to actual browser behavior, or as regards to draft
> specifications?

Both, it seems.

> The latter seem to describe this only in the parsing rules, which are
> rather
> complicated and confusing.

Just to confirm that this is in the spec

there isn't a good anchor for some reason (I should probably raise a
spec bug for that) but just after

http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/html/master/syntax.html#meta-charset-during-parse

it says

> A start tag whose tag name is "noscript", if the scripting flag is enabled
> A start tag whose tag name is one of: "noframes", "style"
>
>     Follow the generic raw text element parsing algorithm.

following the link there leads to RAWTEXT state

http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/html/master/syntax.html#rawtext-state

which basically only treats < and NULL as special, so & is not special.

> It’s a bit shocking that Firefox and Chrome as well as IE 10 deviate from this.

A more optimistic way of saying the same thing would be to say

IE10, Firefox and Chrome all implement this as specified in HTML5.

David