Re: <subline> becomes <subhead> and other updates

From: Bruce Lawson <brucel@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 11:48:21 +0100
To: public-html@w3.org
On Sat, 08 Jun 2013 18:23:06 +0100, <contact@thecodeplayground.net> wrote:

> Hi, Steve, Jukka
>
> Maybe the problem, in the first place, comes from the fact that the
> *small* element doesn't have a precise definition. It seems to me that
> it has any strong semantic meaning. "side comments such as small
> print", doesn't mean much to me

If we want to  tighten up the definition of <small> and exclude its use
for subheadings, I suggest tightening up the wording:

at the moment, the useful definition of <small> is in a note, which is
therefore non-normative.

How about making the definition "The small element represents legalese
(often colloquially called "small print") such as disclaimers, caveats,
legal restrictions, copyrights,  attribution, or for satisfying licensing
requirements."

And make the first note say "It is not appropriate for representing
sub-headers or sublines".

Bruce Lawson
Open standards evangelist
Developer Relations Team