Re: DRM in HTML5 A Betrayal of Public Trust

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 12, 2013, at 11:05 AM, "Kornel Lesiński" <kornel@geekhood.net> wrote:

> On 12 June 2013 15:36:20 Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com> wrote:
>
>> Actually, we do listen to our customers and potential customer very
>> closely and the evidence we have is that they do not like having to
>> install a proprietary plugin (of our choice) to access our service.
>> This proposal is about addressing that, by enabling our service to run
>> in browsers without a plugin install.
>
> EME will still require users to have a proprietary plugin (CDM) to access your service.

CDMs are not plugins. I'm not sure how many times we have to repeat
that before people will stop propagating this myth.

Yes, they share some features with plugins (notably some if not all
will be proprietary code), but there are many differences, not least
that no browsers have any plans to make them user-installable, users
will have a choice - through their choice of browser - and browsers
will have some control over what the CDMs can do.

...Mark