Re: <subline> becomes <subhead> and other updates

Hi leif,

>Also, while the working group has a formal decision to remove hgroup
>from HTML5.0, there is no such formal decision w.r.t. HTML5.1. But this
>is also why I think that we eventually need to come up with something
>better, or else authors will just go for the WHATWg spec in this case.

in regards to html 5.1 my understanding is that it is the editors that make
decisions about what goes in and out, after consulting the group if the
issue is contentious, then the working group reviews and provides feedback
, files bugs etc.

In regards to hgroup that is what happened, I emailed the list stating an
editing plan [1] , and got no negative responses so got on with it. we have
since then had a 5.1 working draft published without issue.

My view from observing reactions in articles, posts and tweets,and reaching
out to developers, is that most authors don't give a fig about hgroup or
any other formally defined method to mark up subheadings and a good
proportion are glad to see the back of hgroup.

E.g. until AT support is ready, what would
> the trouble bet with do the following?
> <hgroup role=heading aria-level=1>
>    <h1 role=presentation>HTML</h1>
>    <h2 role=presentation>Living Standard — Last Updated 8 June 2013</h2>
> </hgroup>

no wanting to rehash the arguments i have made over and over, but

The mapping you suggest and required in the whatwg spec removes semantic
information for AT users only, by turning multiple headings into a single
heading, there are no semantics conveyed about the 'subheadingness' of part
of the hgroup content, any distinction has been removed in the role
information exposed. Like browsers, other user agents must be able to
choose how they represent the semantic structure of content to users, in
order to do this the semantics must be exposed in the accessible tree as
richly and as faithfully as is possible from the DOM. collapsing the
semantics of multiple headings into a single heading level denies
accessibility API clients this possibility.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2013Apr/0005.html

--

Regards

SteveF