Re: Context of the main element

From: Cameron Jones <cmhjones@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 19:03:10 +0000
To: Jeremy Keith <jeremy@adactio.com>
Cc: "HTML WG (public-html@w3.org)" <public-html@w3.org>
On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 6:47 PM, Jeremy Keith <jeremy@adactio.com> wrote:

> Cam asked:
> > But what is the main-main content of the page then? I need to direct
> accessibility users to the "main" content of the *whole* page. How can that
> be determined if there are more than one of them?
>
> In *exactly* the same way that user agents determine which footer element
> corresponds to the role "contentinfo", or which header element corresponds
> to "banner", or which nav element corresponds to "navigation" …by its
> context!

But the context of "main" *is* the whole page, so there is no additional
context available to determine which one it would be.

I think what you suggest is that it would be the first, or would it be the
deepest, or the one in between <header> and <footer>, or .... you see? You
require a complex algorithm to determine which it is, that is the whole
point of what <main> is for - so that a complex algorithm is not necessary
because there is "only one".

If you can come up with a guaranteed algorithm i think we remove the need
for "main" (or even ARIA) altogether, in the absence of that accessibility
users need the explicit assistance.

Thanks,
Cameron Jones