Re: Context of the main element

From: Cameron Jones <cmhjones@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 17:56:32 +0000
To: Jeremy Keith <jeremy@adactio.com>
Cc: "HTML WG (public-html@w3.org)" <public-html@w3.org>
On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 5:48 PM, Jeremy Keith <jeremy@adactio.com> wrote:

> Cameron wrote:
> > You will not achieve parity if an element is misused to the point that
> it can no longer be relied upon.
>
> I don't think you're grasping what I'm getting at: using main within
> sectioning content other than the body element wouldn't be a *misuse*, it
> would simply be *another* use. Just like using footer within sectioning
> content isn't a misuse; it's perfectly acceptable …but only the footer
> element that is scoped to the body carries the same meaning as
> role="contentinfo". It could be the same for main: use the main element
> scoped to the body (where it means role="main") but go ahead and use it in
> other sectioning content too …but in those cases, it won't map to
> role="main".

But what is the main-main content of the page then? I need to direct
accessibility users to the "main" content of the *whole* page. How can that
be determined if there are more than one of them?

That definition is also against the ARIA specification and also distinctly
stated is *not* the aim nor purpose of the element.

Thanks,
Cameron Jones