Re: Is the current definition of the article element in HTML useful?

On Wed, 23 Jan 2013 13:06:29 -0000, Bruce Lawson <brucel@opera.com> wrote:

> Is there a reason for any semanric to describe a comment, though? does
> anyone benefit from
>
> <article>
> <h1>My wonderful Mankini</h1>
> There's only one letter difference between "mankini" and "mankind".
>
> <h2> Two comments</h2>
>
> <article>lol</article>
> <article>u SUK</article>
>
> </article>
>
> over
>
> <article>
> <h1>My wonderful Mankini</h1>
> There's only one letter difference between "mankini" and "mankind".
>
> <h2> Two comments</h2>

> </article>

Goal of applications like Readability, Instapaper, Pocket and Reader mode
in Safari is to display content of page's main article without comments or
other distractions.

Currently these applications use heuristics to achieve that (AFAIK things
like ratio of text to elements, whitelist/blacklist of class names) and I
presume that nested <article> could be a useful input for such algorithm.

--
regards, Kornel