Re: Oppose DRM ! Re: CfC: to publish Encrypted Media Extensions specification as a First Public Working Draft (FPWD)

On 1/22/13 4:55 PM, Mays, David wrote:
> Encrypted media delivery has uses other than DRM.
>
> One obvious one I can think of is for secure private video communications. Think of a doctor transmitting a video diagnosis to a patient

This case can be served quite well, I believe, by proposals that allow
the doctor and the patient to access the video data.  Furthermore, the
encryption APIs involved could, I again believe, be quite clearly
specified in this case.

That's assuming that SSL is not sufficient for this purpose.

> and it's easy to imagine a case for encrypted video that has nothing to do with DRM.

Actually, it's really hard to imagine cases for ecnrypted video that
need the level of mistrust in the receiving party that the draft in
question espouses that have nothing to do with DRM.

If we are indeed talking about other use cases, I would like to hear
what they are, and we should consider designing a system that caters to
those use cases better than the currently proposed one.

-Boris