Re: TAG Decision on Rescinding the request to the HTML WG to develop a polyglot guide

On 22/01/13 09:16, Henri Sivonen wrote:

>> Since an
>> editor like mine can edit all flavors of html, it still needs to
>> output the xml declaration for xhtml
>
> Not if you always output XML as UTF-8, which you should, since UTF-16
> makes no sense for interchange and UTF-8 is the only other encoding
> guaranteed by XML to be supported.

This is a joke, right? My editor does all flavors of html, and an xhtml1
or 1.1 document saved without the xml decl will choke many software
environments and XML 1.1 accepts all IANA-registered charsets.

   http://www.w3.org/TR/xml11/#NT-EncodingDecl

Anyway, this is not the point. The point is making sure an app is able
to serialize correctly the following:

   - xhtml 1 or 1.1
   - html5, xml serialization, not poyglot
   - html5, xml serialization, polyglot

I can make the difference between the first and the two last ones based
on the doctype and friends. I am unable to make any difference between
the two last ones.

</Daniel>