Re: TAG Decision on Rescinding the request to the HTML WG to develop a polyglot guide

From: Daniel Glazman <daniel@glazman.org>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 09:37:57 +0100
To: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
CC: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, Noah Mendelsohn <nrm@arcanedomain.com>, "www-tag@w3.org List" <www-tag@w3.org>, "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>, Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>, Aryeh Gregor <ayg@aryeh.name>, Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>, Ms2ger <ms2ger@gmail.com>
On 22/01/13 09:16, Henri Sivonen wrote:

>> Since an
>> editor like mine can edit all flavors of html, it still needs to
>> output the xml declaration for xhtml
>
> Not if you always output XML as UTF-8, which you should, since UTF-16
> makes no sense for interchange and UTF-8 is the only other encoding
> guaranteed by XML to be supported.

This is a joke, right? My editor does all flavors of html, and an xhtml1
or 1.1 document saved without the xml decl will choke many software
environments and XML 1.1 accepts all IANA-registered charsets.

   http://www.w3.org/TR/xml11/#NT-EncodingDecl

Anyway, this is not the point. The point is making sure an app is able
to serialize correctly the following:

   - xhtml 1 or 1.1
   - html5, xml serialization, not poyglot
   - html5, xml serialization, polyglot

I can make the difference between the first and the two last ones based
on the doctype and friends. I am unable to make any difference between
the two last ones.

</Daniel>