Re: TAG Decision on Rescinding the request to the HTML WG to develop a polyglot guide

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2013 14:25:39 +0200
To: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>
Cc: Noah Mendelsohn <nrm@arcanedomain.com>, "www-tag@w3.org List" <www-tag@w3.org>, "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>
On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 2:35 PM, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net> wrote:
>>    * that there are implementations that support
>>      generating polyglot documents
>

> Potential candidates: Planet Venus and Wunderbar.
>
>   http://www.intertwingly.net/code/venus/
>   https://github.com/rubys/wunderbar

Even if two implementations written by the same person are independent
in the sense that they don't share lines of code, they are not
independent in the sense that they'd demonstrate that the spec is
clear enough that two different people reading it end up writing
interoperable software. For that reason, I think citing these two
implementations as the two independent interoperable implementations
would fail at least the spirit if not the letter of the Process
requirement.

(Of course, you could cite one of the above and a third piece of
software written by someone else.)

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi