Re: Statement why the Polyglot doc should be informative

On 11/02/2012 06:44 AM, Henri Sivonen wrote:
> Since the document should only document conclusions drawn from normative
> statements made elsewhere, the Polyglot document itself should not be
> normative, because there's a risk of erroneous conclusions getting held
> up as normative and leading to confusion (especially since it's not a
> given that change control on te Polyglot document is strictly enough
> controlled to avoid errors and since there's a real risk of people
> asking for restrictions stricter than the minimal logical consequences
> from normative text elsewhere).

The plan is to start a preference poll on this topic in a week or so.
We have a rationale published for why Polyglot should continue to
proceed on the recommendation track:

http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/PolyglotRecommendationRationale

While I found a fair amount of discussion, the only clear statement I
could find is the above, which can be found at the following URL:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Nov/0006.html

If anyone know of, or wishes to produce, an updated or more
comprehensive statement, please let the co-chairs know before the survey
starts.

- Sam Ruby