Re: idea for audio subtitles

From: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 11:18:02 +1100
To: GIDEON ISAAC <mad.gideon.isaac@hotmail.com>
Cc: w3 html5 forum <public-html@w3.org>
For displaying subtitles with audio files, add the audio resource to a
<video> tag and the subtitles inside it in a <track> tag. The audio element
has no visual display, so it can't display subtitles.

I don't know how you managed to get Opera to display subtitles from <track>
below the video, but that sounds like a Opera bug.

On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 2:58 AM, GIDEON ISAAC

> I notice when using opera to show videos, that the subtitles in the
> text-track sometimes don't appear on the video at all, but in the webpage
> beneath the video.  I didn't check if this is just true of very large
> subtitles, or all the time.  But it would be a good idea to have this for
> audio too.  So if an audio has subtitles, you obviously can't display those
> subtitles on top of the audio, but they would appear beneath the audio
> slider on the webpage.
> There are other ways to accomplish this, for instance I could use:
>  myTextTrack.addEventListener('cuechange', function() {
>                 var cue = this.activeCues[0];
>                  document.getElementById('fillmessage').innerHTML =
> cue.text ;
>                  }
> but the problem with this is that it currently doesn't work correctly with
> google chrome, the only browser that worked with the javascript api of the
> three I tested.  In chome, I believe it works with the very first cue of a
> series, but not with the next ones, at least under the intervals that I
> used.
That sounds like browser bugs. Do register bugs on browser where it doesn't
work. Remember to provide full examples of what doesn't work - what you
have provided here can't be used to replicate the bug. You should add at
least the HTML markup that you're using.